Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Voodoo Stuff, Part 1

As many of you know, I have an open mind with a healthy bit of skepticism and a researcher's brain. So while some stuff DOES seem like "voodoo" to me, there is plenty that I am doing that is really quite scientific. So I want to mention some of those things here for other cancer patients to investigate on their own.

First off, I LOVE the whole-body vibration machine that I use. I heard a famous star mention the "Power Plate" brand, but the brand I use is "TurboSonic"--and that is the ONLY brand I can discuss knowledgeably with cancer patients dealing with metastasis to the bones. Other brands may use mechanical engineering to induce the whole-body vibration; TurboSonic is the only one I know that uses SOUND to induce the vibration.

Bones that have been compromised by cancer CANNOT withstand pressure or load-bearing (looking at it realistically from a structural-engineering standpoint) and should NOT be taxed in any way. What does this mean in real life? It means I pretty much have had to give up the idea of ever running again in my life, and forget lifting any weight (small children). I must avoid all weight on and any jarring of the bones. Good thing swimming is one of my favorite activities! But I can't always do that, esp. since I avoid chlorinated water (due to the cancer) and swim almost entirely in natural bodies of water (for the minerals and health benefits as well as avoidance of chemicals).

Using the TurboSonic machine, I am able to exercise my muscles--my whole body--in 10 minutes times. Whole-body vibration therapy has its roots in the space program; bone density and muscle loss have been medical issues faced by astronauts spending any amount of time in space, including in the low Earth orbit of the space station and space shuttles. We will face those same issues when space travel becomes available to us regular folk.

TurboSonic has different settings, and my bone doctor tested me on the very lowest, gentlest setting before I ever started the sessions I've been doing. There are settings that are TOO MUCH for patients who have bony metastasis or osteoporosis, so you must check out what is appropriate for you with someone who is authorized to ascertain that.

TurboSonic purports to do the following:
  • Provide the benefits of a regular workout
  • Encourage release of key hormones
  • Stimulate bones, muscles, blood vessels and cells in a manner that promotes their rapid development and circulation
  • Increase bone density
  • Strengthen weakened lower back muscles
  • Enhance explosive strength & fast twitch muscles
  • Enhance pain reduction
  • Accelerate weight loss
  • Speed training recovery/enhance conventional training results
  • Improve collagen production
  • Reduce appearance of cellulite
  • Tighten facial muscles
  • Eliminate effects of stress
  • Relieve tension and chronic pain in ankles, knees, lower back, and neck
  • Relieve menopausal symptoms
  • Increase serotonin and neurotrophine
  • Decrease cortisol (the stress hormone)
  • Rehabilitate injuries and ailments
TurboSonic is purported to be beneficial for:
  • Degenerative disease conditions
  • MS
  • ALS
  • Pelvic instability
  • Emphysema
  • Osteoporosis
  • Arthritis/rheumatism (I'd add fibromyalgia to this list)
  • Excess body fat
  • Cellulite
  • Stress

What I personally (and those observing me) have noted and attribute to this regime is:
  • my entire body is starting to show better tone in the muscles
  • my spine is wa-a-ay noticeably stronger
  • I stand straighter and taller and move like I did when I was 20 yr younger
  • the lymphedema is my arm has noticeably reduced
  • my blood work has been perfect--the actual MEDIAN of the ranges on virtually every data point
  • the drug weight is coming off, even faster now that I'm coming off the drugs---THIRTEEN pounds in SEVEN weeks!
  • the neuropathy is improving
  • the burning brachial nerve pain has not returned despite coming off the drug that controls it
  • fibromyalgia? what fibromyalgia??? NO MORE FIBROMYALGIA! (thanks to guaifenesin and this machine)

Of course, this is just ONE of the things I am doing to help with all those things listed above, but I do believe this is one legitimate tool/weapon in my hike towards the day this chronic condition has a CURE.

No comments: